23.4.08

Blue is the New Black

And I mean a deep, dark, luscious Blue. It is showing up in walls, fabrics, carpets and accessories. It is a blue that doesn't have green or red in it. It is almost black and is warmer than lighter blues and has more life and depth than Black. It is the deepest shade of Indigo as seen in Ikat Textiles. It is the color of the sky on a moonlit night. It is mysterious, moody, classic, timeless, calming, and refreshing. It can have a glossy finish or be totally matt. It is beautiful when contrasted with pure white. My favorite Benjamin Moore paint colors are Polo Blue, Blackberry Punch, Kensington Blue, Blue Gaspe, Hale Navy, and Old Navy. Some deep blue colors are: sapphire, azure, beryl, cerulean, cobalt, indigo, navy, royal, midnight blue, slate, steel blue, Prussian blue.

tom scheerer

The high gloss finish on this wall has a subtle reflectivity to it that changes at different times of the day and literally sparkles at night. Design by Tom Scheerer

robertburke todd romano via habitually chie

I love how the walls, bookshelves and fabric of the banquette seat and sofa are all the same color
Design by Robert Burke and Todd Romano

HouseBeautifulMarch 08
A beautiful color of blue to set off the antique prints and porcelains in this Dining Room
House Beautiful March 2008

img23

This room by Victoria Hagan is destined to be a classic with her crisp and geometric use of color and pattern

psychiko-56

Alberto Pinto has used a deep blue in the bold geometric carpet as his only color in this wonderful Master Bedroom

jkcapri com hotel italy

A deep and refreshing Mediterranean blue has been used on the walls at JK Capri Hotel in Italy

carolyncarr

The Inkiest color of blue used for the walls in this room are a great backdrop for colorful artwork

jaysonhome

A deep "French Blue"

ekb interior

Windsor Smith Domino Aug07 via girl meets glamour

The deepest of blue used in an updated traditional paisley pattern
Windsor Smith

Madeline Weinrib1 thibaut ikat
Deepest Indigo blue as used in traditional Ikat textiles

Madeline Weinrib cushion Thibaut Ikat Fabric

HBSeaCloth

The company Sea Cloth is reinventing and putting a modern twist on Indigo dyed fabrics

1chinese lattice bob collins 800 282 9971
This is a classic Wallpaper pattern in a classic deep blue that will never date

Let me know if these deep luscious shades of blue are slated to become one of your new favorite colors?

I am in the process of designing my own guest bedroom and I have chosen a deep blue silk for the curtains called Moonlight. I am putting a natural woven raffia roman shade on the window behind the curtains for some textural interest. The walls will be painted the same shade as the silk curtains: Benjamin Moore "Blue Gaspe".The Headboard is a heavy white Belgium linen. The bedding is white Egyptian cotton with an Hermes cashmere blanket in a deep charcoal color on the end of the bed. The carpet is wool and is the color of white coral. I will hang black and white "ocean"photographs that I have taken on my travels on the blue walls to finish it off. So you can now see where the inspiration for this post has come from. My friends and family are very anxiously awaiting the unveiling of this room.

Patricia Gray writes about Interior Design inspirations, emerging trends, and the world of Design. 
While you're here, subscribe to this feed so you don't miss out.

23 comments:

  1. I've always loved Victoria Hagan's room you showed.

    Your guest room sounds wonderful - let me know when I can arrive! :)

    I have a question: What style of headboard are you going to use? I love the sound of the heave white Belgium linen. AND I am so drawn to natural woven roman shades, rarely can anyone make a mistake there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23/4/08

    Hi Patricia, nice to have you back :)
    I love the Victoria Hagan room too; especially the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have you back!!!

    Oh, aren't those blues so gorgeous?! Actually, I think these blues are in a way a classic, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're back! I hope you made lots of headway on your projects.

    Oh, I love this color blue. I have used it for the sofa in my Family Room with dark blue ikat pillows> I hope we get to see photos of your guest room when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just finished redecorating our dining room in this very same deep, dark blue. We painted the walls dark blue, trim in white and coffered ceiling beams white. The inset of the ceiling in Farrow and Ball’s Borrowed light. Mahogany dining furniture and seats covered in men’s deep blue Saville Rowe pinstripe wool. Large white temple jars on the table. Huge charcoal still life line-drawing on the wall framed in gold. Big, old Heriz rug with deep, dark blue/tan tones brings it all together. We like to just stand in there it’s all so pretty. Thanks for this post. Lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have seen lots of blue - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this kind of blue , it gives so much drama to a room .
    I love deep dark blue but also the french one called bleu nattier. Nattier was a painter that created this blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous24/4/08

    Love your blog, so welcome back. What beautifiul shots; 30 (!) years ago I did shiny deep blue walls-- as in the Tony Duquette photo-- with sisal on the floor and tortoiseshell bamboo chairs around a white lacquered Parson's dining table with inset glass top. Straw shades and white linen curtains. It was ahead of its time--at least in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue - my favorite! Loved the room w/the large piece of artwork. Glad you're back! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see you back. Great pictures as always. Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cemaya
    I am going to use a slipcovered headboard for easy cleaning

    Hi Carolina
    Thanks and ditto about Victoria Hagan

    Hi Claudia
    Thanks and yes these blues are classic kind of like a navy blue suit

    Hi Katie
    Thanks and yes I have made a lot of headway on my projects. Your family room sounds great

    Hi Lisa
    I love the description of your dining room. There is nothing better than to have a room that you want to spend time in. Well done!

    Hi Diana
    Thanks

    Hi Katherine
    Thanks for dropping by and your link is recriprocated. Keep us informed as to the goings on at Dominio

    Hi Melanie
    Thanks for this interesting information on "bleu nattier". The French have such a sense of history and style!

    Hi Anonymous
    You are right in style now with what you did 30 years ago. That is amazing.

    Hi Michele
    Thanks

    Hi Tricia
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous24/4/08

    Dear Patricia

    I'm a fairly new subscriber and I must tell you that I love, love, love your blog. Your choice of rooms, colour, designs etc. really speak to me. Your website is also very beautifully done & your work is amazing. I always find your blog most inspiring. I am a decorator living in White Rock and have decorated my home in the classic/ modern mix. Most of the decorating & staging I do out here is a little on the boring side, but I'm holding out for the person who would like to go beyond the taupe walls, dark wood furniture, dark leather dining chairs & large white magnolia paintings. Your blog keeps me inspired!!

    I am happy to hear you will be a grandmother as well. I was also wondering where you have been and it is good to hear that you have been busy in the best way... working! All the best with your present work and I look forward to your blogs.

    Best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, yes, and yes!
    I never really thought I was a fan of blue, but looking at these gorgeous rooms really is inspiring.

    I love the bold artwork on the wall set off by the deep blue walls. Wow!

    Thank you for the blue period.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, yes, and yes!
    I never really thought I was a fan of blue, but looking at these gorgeous rooms really is inspiring.

    I love the bold artwork on the wall set off by the deep blue walls. Wow!

    Thank you for the blue period.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous24/4/08

    Ah, blue! Glorius blue! I've always loved blue. Rich indigo walls in my bedroom. Deep cobalt blue glass tiles on my kitchen backsplash. Wonderful blue indigo textiles from around the world -- Japan, Africa, Holland. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad life has calmed down a bit for you - you we're missed. I can commiserate as I am all too familiar with the "trying to keep your head above water" moments in the design biz. I love these pure cobalt rooms. Put me on the long list for the guest bedroom! Blue Gasp !!! Swoon.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pictures! I can't wait to see your guest room, it sounds wonderful.

    So glad you are back - you've been very very missed!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds gorgeous Patricia - I certainly wouldn't mind being a guest in a room like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please post pictures of the unveiling of the blue guest room! It sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That Alberto Pinto carpet.......eeek, I am hyperventilating!!!

    PS Your own room sounds beautiful. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful post! Welcome back :) I love different elements from each of the rooms. I am quite partial to the deeper hues of blue myself. Great inspirations Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous24/5/08

    Hi Patricia,
    We're going to be featuring this Blog post on www.ahomestage.com on Monday, June 9, 2008. Thanks, Christine Bean

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm loving this blog, and the indigo sofa is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...